Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Who Do You Think You Are Katie Joel?






I totally failed at my baking ban. This is okay because I've finished the bulk of my chapbook. Or at least I thought I had until I had a bit of a formatting trouble today and it is giving me a massive headache. In any case, I wanted to bake something last night, and I'm not good at denying myself much.
In the new Food & Wine Magazine there was an article about some sort of party at Katie Joel's house. I don't understand. Who is Katie Joel? Why is she somehow associated with things culinary? I still don't know why she hosted the first season of Top Chef. I don't even care enough to wikipedia her. They featured a supposed blue ribbon recipe for angel food cake that apparently won Katie Joel's grandmother a ton of medals and such. I'm generally suspicious of "grandmother" recipes and even more suspicious of award winning recipes. If these recipes are so valued and treasured, why would one reveal it in a large-distribution magazine.
Fishy, I say.
And you know what? My suspicion was well founded. The cake finished baking in half the suggested baking time (and I have a slow baking oven). Also the measurements were all wrong. What was supposed to fit a 10 inch tube pan, actually filled a 10 inch tube pan in addition to 12 cupcake tins!
That being said, with the necessary adjustments the cake was quite good but tasted mysteriously of cotton candy. If I were to make this again, I think I would cut the amount of sugar from 2 1/2 cups to 2 cups, maybe even less. Also, I put the sugar through a food processor to make a finer grained sugar because it makes for a better meringue with beating the egg whites.
Here is the recipe.
But remember to cut the baking time by half.

1 comment:

Cee said...

First off, LMAO at your suspicions.
Second, Katie Lee is a joke in the culinary world. I don't believe for a minute she won a burger contest using her grandmother's recipe, says she's a chef, and writes cookbook. She's only famous b/c she was married to Billy Lee Joel.