Thursday, August 13, 2009

Thai Bros

seafood salad
chicken stuffed chicken 
steamed orange roughy
pad thai

 I have two favorite Thai restaurants in Orange County.  One is Siamese Express for pure comfort.  Affordable, convenient, no fancy pants garnish, and tamarind paste all over the place.  The other is Thai Bros in Laguna Beach.  And while Thai Bros is probably too pricey to make me a regular, I have to say I've never had a bad dish there.  

My cousin Patricia and I had dinner at Thai Bros the other night.  She's visiting from New York and we've only just realized that we've never had a meal together, just the two of us.  We're usually swamped between aunts and uncles and cousins at enormous productions of family dinners, so it was quite pleasant to have an intimate dinner together.  

My favorite of the evening was the seafood salad with glass noodles.  It's the lime dressing.  I'm  a sucker for limes (ha!).  I think Patricia might have liked the chicken the best.  I've had these chicken stuffed chickens at other Thai restaurants and I've always thought there was something slightly grotesque about them.  First, ground chicken is not the texture that I like my chicken to be.  And also, it seems a little comical to reconstitute them by stuffing them back into their skins.  Oh! I've just realized why I find them grotesque.  It's like Frankenstein's monster!  Kind of.  Well, I guess not really. But a little bit.  
It tasted good.  It's just something I find a bit perplexing.

I ordered the Orange Roughy because I needed something clean, something simple tasting.  The steamed Orange Roughy accomplished that. I was satisfied. 

I have to say though, the best Thai food I've had has been at Jitlada, just around the corner from my apartment in Hollywood.  Patricia, Saeyoung, and our cousin Whun plan on having dinner there next week.  It will be fun.  I already know this.

Thai Bros
238 Laguna Ave
Laguna Beach, CA 92651
949.376.9979

No comments: