Sunday, August 23, 2009

Honeyed Marscapone Fruit Tartlets









I am amazed at the varieties of figs. Incredible. It isn't just a matter of color. Some taste more tart, almost raspberry like. Some taste like pure honey. And the textures are dramaticially different. The Calimyrna fig has a thicker skin and a seedier bite. Some are less seedy and have flesh that resembles a thick jam.
There's a man that I'm utterly devoted to when it comes to buying figs. I suppose I should find out his name and the name of his farm but all I know is that he's slightly crabby and surprisingly generous (he'll throw in a few freebies here and there). Also, I know that he is of Portuguese descent. I don't know why I know this.
Most farmers market vendors sell either Brown Turkey figs or Black Mission figs but my favorite fig man seems to add new varieties every week.
He is at the Hollywood farmers market and the Echo Park farmers market.
Though I love figs and fruit in all forms, when the fruit is really good it seems like a shame to bake it or to sugar it up. For the most part I ate nearly 2 1/2 baskets of fresh figs all by myself but to use up the last few figs I made tartlets with marscapone cheese.
I had some leftover dough from my quiche so I baked those into tartlet form and filled them with the marscapone cheese and fruit and topped the whole thing with a generous dripping of honey.
Here is the recipe for the marscapone filling:
Ingredients:
1/2 cup marscapone cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons honey
pinch of salt
1. combine all the ingredients together
2. spoon into tart shell

2 comments:

Cee said...

Trader Joes now has figs. And they're sweet too. Yay!

saehee said...

i've already bought some!