Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Panzanella Pandemonium!

At the request of Almighty Mama Cho, I prepared a panzanella salad for supper tonight. It was a quick easy recipe that I made some slight adjustments to.

First step, I sauteed 1 inch by 1 inch cubed slices of some old bread we had around the house, an olive sourdough loaf and some kind of La Brea ciabatta I found in the fridge (my mom has a strange habit of refrigerating bread). It was sauteed in butter, olive oil, and garlic. I tossed that in the oven until crisp, which took surprisingly long.

Meanwhile, I sliced heirloom tomatoes that my sister has been begging me to use. I just threw in some grape tomatoes for crunch. Diced up celery, yellow bell pepper, and cilantro. Mixed it all together with 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar. Added a little salt and pepper to taste with just a bit of red pepper flakes (b/c my family insists on spice).

Then I just mixed in the toasted bread before serving. Finito! A quick dinner - carb lovers delight!

I think I need to adjust the bread to veggies ratio, but other than that... a success.

Coming up tomorrow: seared scallops with fiery fruit salsa

No comments: