Monday, August 3, 2009

Mo-Chica

salad of the day : beets and arugula 
arroz con mariscos
seco de cordero
ceviche del dia




First of all, let me apologize for the quality of these images.  I forgot to bring the "good" camera.  

I've had Peruvian food a number of times, each time was mediocre.  I always got that "I'm more full than satisfied" feeling.  This was, I am fairly sure, the best Peruvian food I have ever had.  And the best part was that it was enormously affordable for what it was.  Ceviche for $5? A braised lamb shank with white beans, rice, and cilantro beer stew for $13?  Arroz con Mariscos that was generous with the seafood for $13?  Excellent, very excellent.   I assume that they can keep their prices reasonable because the location is a bit odd.  It's in something like a food court in downtown.  It feels like a big warehouse space that several restaurants made a collective out of and are sharing a communal space.  But that's okay, affordability is more important than ambiance. 

I also liked that they seemed to have a rotating menu of specials.  It seems their ceviche changes pretty regularly.  When we went they had sea bass, which was served with Peruvian corn.  The salad of the day was beets and arugula and if you know me, you know that beets are a dear dear love of mine.  

I ordered the seco de cordero, which is not something I would typically order but the idea of cilantro beer  stew was very exciting.  My meat was maybe slightly overcooked but delicious nevertheless and the stew was wonderful.  I don't think there was a drop left on my plate. 

Saeyoung ordered the arroz con mariscos, which I guess is more or less like paella.  And really, you can't go wrong there.  

And to top things off, everything was beautifully plated.  Things like plating are important to me.   It's true, things taste better when they're pretty.  

I'm not really someone who gets hung up on service.  As long as my food is good, a lot of things are permissible but I do appreciate good service.  The server was wonderful and at one point the chef came out to ask us how are food was.  And I asked for more pickles thinking I'd get a few slices but was met with a bowl full of them.  

I recommend. I recommend highly.  In fact, I'll go with you. 

Mo-Chica
3655 S. Grand Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90007
213.747.2141




2 comments:

Cee said...

I've been wanting to try this place since they opened.

My husband and I usually go to Mamita's in Glendale. you should definitely give that place a try.

saehee said...

thanks for the tip. mamita's is now added to my list.