Monday, August 10, 2009

Break of Dawn

smoked salmon, poached eggs, and oatmeal galette
crispy shrimp and lobster rolls
mi rancheros

Today was a good day.  A bit unexpectedly, Saeyoung and I found that we had the better part of the day to ourselves.  A little bit of leisure time goes a long way.  Just a bit though.  Too much leisure time is another story altogether.  

Saeyoung and I started the day working out, which is something I almost stubbornly never do.  I really detest it.  But today it felt somehow very balancing and also pleasantly numbing and I enjoyed it very much.  And because the only reason I would work out is so that I can eat more, we rewarded ourselves with brunch.  

We went to Break of Dawn in Laguna Hills, a small restaurant that serves mostly American food but with small nods to Vietnamese cuisine.  Is it just me or has Vietnamese exploded in the last 3 years or so?  

The restaurant is located a little strangely, in a strip mall behind a Trader Joe's, but I suppose everything in Orange County is a strip mall so whatever.  In any case the food is wonderful.  I think this place just has good energy.  Or maybe it's the idea of having a leisurely brunch that has good energy.  
I ordered the smoked salmon which came with two absolutely perfectly poached eggs (clean and runny) over an oatmeal galette.  Despite having been pan fried the oatmeal galette was surprisingly light and held up to the runny yolk.  
Saeyoung ordered the mi rancheros which I think was a version of huevos rancheros.  Also, surprisingly light.  It was served with some sort of masa cake (nothing like a tamale...though I have been craving a good tamale) that was especially good.

Really, a wonderful day.  

Break of Dawn
24351 Avenida de la Carlota
Laguna Hills, CA 92653
949.587.9418

No comments: