Friday, August 14, 2009

Fig & Apple Galette






Oh, I love galettes!
  I have a thing for rustic looking desserts, free form pastries, things that I imagine a French grandmother with a chignon making.  I wish I were a chignoned French grandmother. 
 I am not.  

I foresee a period of obsessive galette making.  Yes, I think I'll make a bunch of galette dough tomorrow and freeze it.  That is the other great thing about French-type pastry doughs...they freeze beautifully.  You can make them and wrap them tightly and then store them for up to 3 months. 

I'll tell you something about this fig and apple galette: the small extra something, almost imperceptible but absolutely wonderful part of this galette was brushing it with a homemade orange honey glaze and then sprinkling it with sugar that had been mixed with orange zest.  

This dessert makes me anxious for the Fall.  

No comments: