Monday, August 10, 2009

Further Preservation

a sampling
macerated strawberries 
boiling the preserves
Calimyrna, Black Mission, and Kadota Figs

Fig season is here! They've sort of been trickling into farmers markets for the last month and now they are all over the place.  I went to the Pasadena farmers market on Saturday and purchased a smattering of different varieties.  I must have eaten a basket of figs, sampling them from stall to stall.  I'm very particular.  And figs are testy.  

Along with other fruits I bought there I made more preserves, which is quickly becoming one of my favorite summer activities.

also, thank you to Saeyoung and Eli for being my preserve taste testers. Saeyoung's favorite--strawberry balsamic.  Eli's favorite--fig, apple, almond

This round:

strawberry with balsamic vinegar
strawberry with mint and black pepper
fig (mixed variety), fuji apple, and almonds

note*
I am auctioning off a basket of my preserves at the Les Figues Benefit Auction this year along with an alchemical baking commission.

In the basket so far are:
fig.vanilla.honey
yellow nectarine.chamomile
gaviota strawberry.grand marnier
cherry.peach.rosebud
blueberry.white nectarine.vanilla
strawberry.balsamic
strawberry.mint.black pepper
fig.apple.almond

and next week I plan on making peach and white wine preserves, which I'm sure will make it into the basket.  To purchase tickets to the event or for more info, go here.  

1 comment:

Sae said...

I can't wait to dig into that jar of balsamic vinegar strawberry!