Sunday, August 9, 2009

Strawberry Basil Challah Bread Pudding







I'm getting a kitten! 
This is enormously exciting and slightly frightening.  Earlier this year I was nursing a basil plant, which became strangely taxing.  I worried a lot about Rita (yes, the basil plant's name was Rita), about making sure she wasn't in direct sunlight for too long, about the lack of sun she was getting when it was overcast, about how top heavy she got and the threat of her toppling over.  I even had babysitters for her (thanks nancy, thanks mom). 
Point is, now I'm going to be have this living moving animal under my care and I'm sure that I will be 10 times more worried for this kitten than for Rita.  But I'm okay with that.  I'm ready for that.  In fact, I'm undoubtedly thrilled for it. I have all these romantic ideas of letting it fall asleep on my lap while I have morning coffee in the kitchen or finding it unexpectedly under my pillow just as I get into bed and saying, get out kitty, this is my spot!
I think it will be happy with me.  I hope it will be happy with me.  

Stephen, a friend and fellow Calartian (him, alumni) has a cat named Louise and Louise just had 5 kittens.  I went over yesterday to claim a kitten and to visit with Stephen in his brand new Silverlake house, which was really beautiful.  How do people find such wonderful places to live? It's confounding.  It felt very Californian--open spaces, a backyard deck.  
Okay, back to the kittens.  I immediately gravitated towards a black and white kitten named Lou Jr/Divorce.  I'm thinking of changing his name but I'll let his personality determine that.  
As evidenced above I tried to take a photograph but found this strangely impossible.  They weren't moving and there was nothing wrong with my camera and on top of that Stephen's camera was out of batteries.  It's like the world did not want me to capture an image of these kittens.  There's something kind of sweet about that, I suppose.  I'm very grateful to Stephen for my kitten. 

It's a five week countdown until I can bring my kitten home!

Oh yeah, and I made strawberry basil bread pudding as a housewarming gift for Stephen.  A very summery dessert.  I really do love the combination of strawberries and basil.

Find the recipe here

Kitten!!

No comments: