Saturday, August 15, 2009

Duck Egg over Chanterelles and Peas (plus other things)





I went to the Santa Monica Farmers Market the other day, which was my first time actually. I saw Mark Peel there discussing apples. He looked super official in his chef's jacket.
Things that are in season and wonderful and purchased by me:
1. figs (I need to stop with the figs. I'm more fig than girl at this point)
2. bermuda onions (very sweet, tastes vaguely like cipollini)
3. thyme
4. orange and red tomatoes

I also bought some chanterelles, which I haven't seen at farmers markets this summer. I'm not sure when chanterelles are in season but they were pretty pricey. At $12 per pound I could only afford a handful. I couldn't resist though. I have a deep love of mushrooms and chanterelles are up there on my list.

I also found a duck egg. It was the last one. I felt almost obligated to buy it. Just as an object (not as a food item) an egg is so pleasing to look at. If I could assign a personality to eggs, I'd say that they seem enormously calm. That's probably stupid. I should stop romanticizing everything I eat.

For dinner I used my purchases to make a really gorgeous dinner, for one, pathetically. Is it still pathetic if I preferred it that way? I sauteed bermuda onions with the chanterelles with some thyme and peas and topped it with a fried duck egg and then I drizzled the whole thing with the white truffle oil I got with my gift certificate to Williams and Sonoma.
Also, a side salad of tomatoes in a meyer lemon balsamic vinaigarette.
Oh! also I enjoyed figs with a port and honey goat cheese! Saeyoung, I'm bringing your some of that goat cheese. It's ridiculously good.
Ingredients:
1/2 a bermuda onion
3/4 cup chanterelle mushrooms
1/4 cup peas (frozen or fresh)
3 sprigs of thyme
2 tablespoons of butter
salt and pepper to taste
1 duck egg

1. melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat
2. sweat the onions. try and not move them too much so that they will caramelize but make sure that they don't burn and go bitter
3. when the onions are cooked down and translucent add the chanterelles and thyme
4. when the onions and chanterelles are browned add the peas and cook for about one minute or until the peas are just tender
5. salt and pepper to taste
6. take the mixture out of the pan and plate
7. in the same pan with the browned butter, crack the egg and fry until the white part is opaque. You want the yolk to be runny (you may have to add more butter or oil to the pan before adding the egg)
8. top the chanterelle mixture with the egg and drizzle with white truffle oil or just extra virgin olive oil will do just fine

...other variations:

this would also be good with pancetta or some sort of salty cured meat

No comments: