Saturday, August 29, 2009

Nancy, You Sure Are Neat! (Upside-Down Fig Upside Down Cake)






It's Nancy's Birthday!
Do you know Nancy Romero? You should, you really should. Her hair always smells like happy apples and she owns one of those backpacks with a water bottle connected to a giant hose/straw built in. She deserves a cake. She actually needs cake because she bikes a gazillion miles a day.
No seriously, Nancy is a very wonderful person.

For her birthday I thought about making Nancy Cake again but I think the occasion called for a bit of celebratory experimentation. You may have noticed that I am obsessed with figs. I wanted to make a hazelnut fig upside down cake but very stupidly placed the figs upside down, creating an upside down-upside down cake. This was a shame because it would have looked so pretty with the open fig flesh all caramelized. And because I placed the open flesh into the batter I am scared that the cake became too moist with fig juices. I'm going to blame my stupidity on lack of sleep. My body keeps waking me up at 7:30 in the morning for no reason, even though I haven't been able to fall asleep before 3 a.m. lately.

I hope it tasted okay. The problem with baking birthday cakes is that you can't swipe a bite and test if they turned out well. You just have to hope for the best.
Oh also, while I was making this cake this morning I must have been making too much noise trying to get rid of air bubbles in my batter and the people living below me came up to complain. They thought I was angry at them and was trying to send them a message with my loud noises. It was embarrassing.

Happy Birthday Nancy Romero.

Ingredients:

Topping:
1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
25 figs, depending on size (halved)
1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
3/4 cup of brown sugar (I used dark because that's what I had but I think golden would be better)

Cake:
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups and 2 tablespoons of all purpose or cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
2 eggs
1 cups of sugar

1. preheat oven to 350
2. melt the butter for the topping over low heat
3. add the brown sugar and whisk together until fully incorporated
4. pour the butter and brown sugar mixture into a greased 10 inch cake pan
5. sprinkle the hazelnuts over the brown sugar syrup
6. arrange the figs halves, open flesh side down
7. set aside pan
8. in a large bowl beat the sugar and butter together until pale and fluffy
9. add the eggs one at a time
10. add the vanilla extract
11. sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder
12. alternate 3 separate additions of the flour mixture and buttermilk into the egg/sugar/butter mixture
13. pour the batter into the pan and over the figs
14. tap the pan down on a hard surface to get rid of air bubbles
15. bake in the oven for about 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out cleanly and the top of the cake in golden brown (it looks almost like the color of cornbread)
16. let the cake cool for 10 minutes
17. place a flat pan or plate over the top of the cake pan and then flip
18. the juices will run down the side of the cake, this is a good thing
19. let cool before serving


6 comments:

yurchie said...

Haha, so many good things in this post.

Happy apples and neighbors who think you are angry at them? HAHA

And the cake looks amazing. Found your blog somehow and have been reading for a little bit. Saehee, how did you like the MFA at CalArts?

saehee said...

i'm still working on it. Half way through, but I like it very much so far. Are you a MFA student? Or have your MFA?

Thanks for following our blog!

yurchie said...

I was supposed to start a program this fall, but I'm broke. I've lived near CalArts forever so was just curious as to their program. Do they accept nonfiction applicants?

nancy said...

Man, thanks for my cake! It was great, Saehee!
Actually, I refused a birthday cake when my parents offered to buy me one because yada yada, I don't like cake, whipped cream, the essence of cake, how it's always huge and never ends, is yucky, etc, but yours was absolutely fantastic. I believe I am lucky in many respects, especially in regard to both coincidences and friends.
Also, guess who hiked just half a mile shy of Half Dome? I almost made it Saehee, but it was windy (wiiiiinnnnddyyyyyy) and I got scared...

saehee said...

i had to look up half dome. nancy, i think you should become a mountain woman and live in a log cabin. i;ll come up and visit and bring sustenance in the form of sugar.

saehee said...

denis-calarts doesn't make real distinctions between genres but we have some really great writers that focus on non-fiction. it's kind of a good set up if you want to have your hand in a lot of pots