Friday, June 12, 2009

Oh Lanny, You're Lovely

tofu dumpling soup

This is a gushy one, I'm just going to say that right now.  
I love my friends.  For what ever reason, I have the most lovely friends in the world, friends so lovely that I'm sure I don't deserve them.  
Among them, is Lan.  Lan couldn't make it to my birthday party due to the terror that is employment at Starbucks but instead she offered to make dinner for me.  And I think most people who know me, know this: there are few things I love more than cooking with friends and/or eating with friends.  
We made tofu dumplings in a ginger and chicken broth.  She also made a broccoli and tomato stir-fry that we had with brown rice.  Everything was delicious and startlingly easy to make.  The idea of making dumplings seems intimidating, I think partially because whenever my family makes dumplings it's only for special occasions and we make like a hundred at a time, all gathered around a table and spooning filling into wrappers from a communal bowl (it's actually a very pleasant experience and all of a sudden i'm nostalgic for moments like those).  Maybe because Lan and I didn't use meat as a filling the process didn't seem like such an ordeal.

Also, Lan made a series of three framed collages for my birthday.  I think they're thrilling. Yes, I think thrilling is the appropriate word.  They are now hanging above my bed and I'm so grateful for Lan, for friends, for general good feelings.  

No comments: