Sunday, June 14, 2009

Matcha Shortbread Tea Cakes













I think I express affection primarily through baking.  I may not daily affirm my love for the people in my life but I will wake up at 5 a.m. and make something warm and cozy for the people I care for.  I think I like that.  I think I like the idea of people eating my affection.  This may also explain why every person I've been in a relationship with has gained weight.  

The target of my affection today is my mother.  She's been in Orlando for a few days for a dental seminar, eating lonely dinners for one at Chinese restaurants.  I'm picking her up at the airport today and I wanted to bring her something to greet her with because I absolutely love the idea of giving/receiving little nothing gifts in an airport terminal, upon arrival.  Plane trips are taxing.  Baked goods are lovely.  

My mother likes very light sweets so I thought I'd make her some sort of tea snack because they're light and adorable.  On a recent trip to Mitsuwa with Nancy I bought some matcha green tea and wanted to incorporate that somehow because I love the color and it's one of my favorite flavorings--very earthly, just barely sweet.  Because I've never worked with matcha before, I did a little internet research and found these two recipes: 



I really liked the idea of combining these recipes and making a little tea cake/sandwich thing with a little white chocolate ganache as the bonding agent.  

I think this is one of my favorite things that I've baked thus far.  They're just so cute! 

No comments: