Thursday, June 25, 2009

Fig and Brown Sugar Toast




Figs are amazing.  They seem like a very biblical fruit.  Yesterday my uncle came over and my mom wanted me to throw something together to serve him.  We had figs, which were from costco and not the best figs I have ever tasted, but still, they are figs and figs are impressive somehow.  I topped sliced baguette with a heaping teaspoon of goat cheese, put a sliced fig on top and then sprinkled about 1/4 of a teaspoon of brown sugar over the open flesh side of the fig.  Once they were in the toaster the brown sugar started to melt and bubble and it was very pretty.  Ideally I would have had a brulee torch and would have caramelized the brown sugar on top, but no such luck.  Still, a very satisfying and lovely thing to serve to guests and more importantly, it took like five minutes.  

No comments: