Thursday, June 18, 2009

Mes Confitures

Today I received "Mes Confitures" by Christine Ferber in the mail today.  I have been wanting this book forever but for what ever reason couldn't justify buying it over other books that I wanted.  I finally gave in.  And I am practically frothing at the mouth.  The book is entirely about making jams and preserves, something that I love to do.  Christine Ferber's recipes are work intensive, I'm talking macerating (nancy, i used the word "macerate") fruit for eight hours in order to keep the shape of the fruit.  And rather than the mushy fruit compote that we are all used to, her jams preserve whole segments of fruit and are worthy of much more than toast.    
Some of her suggestions are a little intense. Like picking the fruit by hand and preserving it within an hour or making my own apple pectin.  I think I will short cut these parts.  
But the recipes are exciting, pretty much as exciting as they get.  
examples: 
Rose Hip with Vanilla
Rhubarb, Apple, and Passion Fruit
Carrot, Orange, and Cardamom 
Pear with Pinot Noir

People in my life, expect jars and jars of love.  

No comments: