Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Umami Burger

tempura onion rings with umami ketchup
so-cal burger
scallop burger
house pickles

I rarely crave red meat, and and I almost never opt for hamburgers but I've been meaning to try Umami burger because I've heard such great things.  I ordered the scallop burger which was maybe a little too wasabi-esque but they were quite generous with their scallops. I was struggling with whether to order the scallop burger or the truffle burger, and I have a feeling I would have liked the truffle burger better. The so cal burger was great with perfectly roasted tomatoes.  The sides were where things kind of fell apart.  The tempura onion rings were too greasy.  Something about the tempura batter wasn't strong enough to hold all that oil.  The fries weren't bad but they were pretty run of the mill.  More importantly for $4, they gave us way too little.  I'm talking like 6 onion rings for $4.  That's just silly.  I ordered the pickles because what goes better with a burger and fries than pickles but something about the overly arranged pickle plate was kind of hilarious.  They're just pickles.  They don't need to look like a Japanese zen garden.  What's worse, I was still pretty hungry after finishing my meal.  I went home and had a bowl of rice with dumpling soup....
That being said, the service was very good.  

1 comment:

Sae said...

That pickle plate IS pretty hilarious. I would've been right there with you for the fourth meal of rice!