Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Rice Balls

the finished product


grilling the miso glazed rice triangles

decorating/seasoning 

forms
making shapes
seasoning the rice
filling/decorating set up

Saeyoung and I both love these.  They are work intensive, really work intensive and further, they go bad in less than a day.  These rice balls are called jumok bab in Korean, translating to fist rice, I assume because the resemble the size of fists.  They basically consist of rice seasoned with vinegar, sugar, and salt and then stuffed with whatever you want (in my case, kimchi and picked radish) and then the ball is rolled into a variety of seasonings.  I also stuffed some rice into some inari shells.  Some of them I made into triangles (the surfaces need to be flat so they can be grilled) and then glazed it with a miso, molasses, and soy sauce mixture.  The result is very pretty-colorful and satisfying.  They're the perfect picnic food.  I think this is my favorite comfort food.  Does this qualify as comfort food?

1 comment:

Sae said...

It qualifies as my kind of comfort food! The miso glaze sounds ingenious! Did you just come up with that? We need to find a way to make these spicy....
Either way, just looking at the pictures makes me miss you so much!!! Plus I'm on a diet, so I kind of want to kill myself.