Monday, April 20, 2009

Penne Pasta With Chicken and Vegetables




I've been meaning to make my own version of Mark Bittman's broccoli rabe pasta and so I offered to cook dinner for my mom and her husband the other night.  Only, when I made it, it was nothing like Mark Bittman's recipe except for the inclusion of garlic slivers and toasted bread crumbs.  I'm was trying to use leftovers in the fridge so instead of broccoli rabe I used broccoli and green beans, oyster mushrooms, and the tiniest bit of bell pepper (mostly for color).  I think the key to this recipe is the bread crumbs toasted with olive oil.  Something about the way the bread soaks up the olive oil is amazing.  Despite having created a decidedly European meal, my mom insisted on eating the pasta with kimchi, because apparently a meal is just not a meal without at least one nod to Korean food.  

Ingredients:
4 garlic cloves, slivered
1/2 cup broccoli
1/2 cup green beans
1/4 cup bell peppers
1/2 cup roughly torn bread crumbs
salt and pepper
pasta of your choice
1 cup of chicken, cut into strips
2 oyster mushrooms, sliced
shaved parmesan (or cheese of your choice)

1. cook the garlic slivers in a few tablespoons in olive oil until brown and then set aside
2. in the same oil toast the bread crumbs and then set aside
3. blanch broccoli and green beans and set aside in an ice bath
4. cook pasta in salted water and drain
5. saute chicken in a large pan with salt and pepper until browned 
6. add bell peppers and sliced mushroom until cooked
7. add blanched broccoli and green beans
8. add pasta to the pan
9. add 2 tablespoons of olive oil
10. salt and pepper to taste
11. take off heat and toss with garlic slivers and bread crumbs
12. serve with a generous helping of shaved parmesan reggiano

No comments: