Tuesday, April 7, 2009

These Cupcakes Astound Me

The Les Figues Garden Party is coming up and I needed to work out a vegan cupcake recipe to serve alongside the regular cupcakes.  I felt like experimenting a bit and I had read somewhere that you can substitute eggs and oil with applesauce.   I also decided to cut out the sugar since the cupcakes were already going in a healthy direction.  I have to admit, I wasn't expecting much, a crumbly dry scone-ish cupcake at best but these cupcakes ended up being amazing!  They were very gooey in the middle and the vegan chocolate chips were melty without being liquified.  Plus, if I'm calculating right, they are about 80 calories per cupcake.  I think next time I want to add dried sour cherries or maybe a dollop of fig jam in the center (for the Les Figues party).  So if you're in the Los Angeles area, come by the party on April 19th to try these cupcakes.   

Ingredients:

1 and 1/4 cup applesauce (preferably unsweetened)
3/4 cup cake flour 
1 and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1 cup Splenda
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (sugar free if you can find them)

1. preheat oven to 350
2. mix dry ingredients in one bowl, and wet ingredients in another
3. add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in small batches
4. add chocolate chips
5. put heaping spoonfuls into cupcake tins (makes about 10)
6. bake for approximately 30 minutes
7. let cool for 10 minutes

note:  hershey's special dark sugar free chocolate mini-bars work really well though they aren't vegan.  if you use these, chop the bar into pretty sizable chunks for a good melt. 


No comments: