Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Sort Of Pavlova




I'm feeling restless today and this often means I will spend a lot of time in the kitchen.  I really wanted to make a pavlova because I have these wonderful raspberries that would taste great with something light and airy, but pavlovas require cornstarch and I didn't feel like making a trip to the market.  I tried to make the pavlova sans cornstarch and it still worked out, only it didn't have that cracked, crispy shell that make pavlovas so wonderful.  Still, the exterior was nice and firm while the interior reminded me slightly of a very light marshmellow.  Topped with the tart raspberries, it made for a very satisfying dessert.

Ingredients:
3 egg whites
1 cup extra fine sugar
3 tablespoons ice cold water
1 teaspoon vinegar
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon of cornstarch (for the crispy shell, if you want it)

1. preheat over to 300 degrees
2. beat egg whites with salt until stiff peaks form
3. add water and mix for a minute longer
4. combine sugar and cornstarch and add in small increments 
5. add vinegar and mix for another minute
6. form in a circle on a greased cooking sheet and create a cavity in the center for the fruit
7. place in oven until the peaks are dark brown and the pavlova begins to crack
8. top with fruit

*note to self--next time add lemon zest

1 comment:

Sae said...

must have that. now.