Monday, May 4, 2009

Silverlake Farmer(')s Market And A Near Perfect Saturday

the bounty
they are like my babies
farmers market breakfast
scambled eggs with asparagus, mushrooms, spinach, swiss cheese, onion, and yellow squash

vegetable pupusas

carmela's ice cream

Last Saturday had all the components of my favorite things, making for a really extraordinary day.  I started out the day going to the Silverlake farmer's market with two of my loveliest friends, Lan and Thomas.  I don't even understand it, the farmers market makes me enormously happy.  We stocked up on the weeks produce.  I bought beets (my obsession continues), swiss chard, yellow squash, onions, yellow and red tomatoes, and Guinness ice cream from Carmela's Ice Cream.  We also whet our appetites with a vegetable pupusa, communally shared.  I have to say though, the UCI farmers market is much more impressive in variety.  
Afterwards we cooked breakfast together at my place, using the ingredients we had bought that morning.  Toasted French and sourdough loaves.  A vegetable scramble with parsley.  Sliced tomatoes.  Lemon-lavender goat cheese.  And animal crackers to top it all off.  While I was clearing the table, Lan and Thomas were watching youtube videos on my bed (see above) and something about that image struck me as hilarious.  They all of a sudden seemed like they were my children, watching Saturday morning cartoons or something.  It made me feel pretty warm and fuzzy.  
Because we all ate the equivalent of like 4 eggs each we continued the day by meeting Nancy, another phenomenal and equally lovely friend,  to bike along the beach.  Biking on the beach is another thing that makes me happy. 

No comments: