Monday, May 4, 2009

Macarons: Have I Failed You or Have You Failed Me?


IH@6F*)!!/!.[]8676!@#%%

Macarons are infamously unpredictable and difficult to make.  I felt like I was so close! I had finally gotten the technique of piping the right amount of batter onto the pan.  I double layered my baking pans.  I bought ridiculously expensive almond meal.  I beat my meringue until glossy. I let the shells harden for a hour before putting them in the oven.  I even let my egg whites evaporate for two days ahead of time.  It was heartbreaking to see my macarons fissure in the oven.  There was nothing I could do about it.  They still tasted good but the unfortunate thing about macarons is that they are almost just as much about aesthetics as they are about taste and if the shell is not perfectly smooth and perfectly round...well, there is very little point.  I was so deflated I forgot to take a picture of the end result.  

I guess i'll use them to make a trifle, or something.  Maybe I'll sprinkle the cookies broken up over ice cream. I don't know.

I'm going to blame it on my stupid oven.  Yeah, it's the oven's fault.  Yeah.

1 comment:

Sae said...

oh man! Macaroon failure. It's okay - you just need your handy sioux chef / taster.