Monday, May 4, 2009

Kappo-Honda

quail-yakitori style
grilled saba
blue crab and spicy tuna rolls
eggplant and chicken cartilage

pork kimchi
udon
natto and tofu
marinated raw baby squid


I picked up my mom and her husband from the airport Saturday night and they came off the plane very hungry because, as always, airplane food is an unsatisfying venture.  It was near 11 pm and the only place we could think of was Kappo Honda in Huntington Beach.  We often frequent Honda-Ya, its sister restaurant and a likely contender for our family's favorite restaurant.  Both restaurants are izakaya style, or Japanese small plates.  
Some of their menu items are definitely for the more adventurous diner--such as the marinated raw baby squid.  When I saw it on the specials menu, I got really excited because I love ika and I was imagining a ponzu sauce as a marinate.  Not so.  I hadn't realized that the squid was going to be be whole babies and they were slimy and marinated in its own sort of fermented juices.  Koreans use something similar as a starter in the fermentation of kimchi. So yeah, that dish was a bust.  Everything else was excellent though, especially the grilled saba.  Saba mackeral is one of the cheapest fishes you can by but when its grilled and with the crushed radish and lemon juice, its pretty great.  
I hear there's a Honda-Ya in Little Tokyo---I must try.  

Kappo Honda
18450 Brookhurst St
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
714.964.4629

No comments: