Saturday, May 23, 2009

Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate Muffins


So I'm that stage, again, where I'm baking low fat muffins nearly every other day.  Today I had a reason though.  Saeyoung's friend Torri was going back to Boston today and because she loves pumpkin and fall-ish flavors, I thought I'd give her a send off present of muffins.  I forget how excellent pumpkin can be.  This was definitely an experiment.  I replaced the oil and butter with yogurt and the combination of the pumpkin and yogurt really kept the muffin quite moist.  I'm am pleased overall.  I think a little more cinnamon next time.

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup flour
1 cup oats
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup non-fat yogurt
1/2 cup milk
2 egg whites, lightly whipped
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
about a cup of chocolate chips

1. preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. mix dry ingredients in a large bowl
3. combine sugar, egg whites, milk, yogurt, and pumpkin puree in a separate bowl
4. make a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients and combine until just moist
5. fold in chocolate chips
6. put ice cream scoop amounts of batter into lined muffins tins
7. bake for about 15 minutes
makes about 15 

No comments: