Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mentatsu Ramen

wantanmen


omelet rice


hiyashi chuka

tenshin han

This is the thing about good ramen: it's salty, incredibly salty.  The morning after I eat ramen, my eyes get terribly swollen and I spend the day looking like a frog.  If you see me looking like a frog, it's because I ate ramen the night before.  My family loves Mentatsu Ramen in Costa Mesa because while maintaining the requisite saltiness, it isn't overwhelming.  Additionally, their rice dishes are excellent.  Omelet rice is stir fried in ketchup and then covered with a thing crepe-like egg.  I grew up eating omelet rice and only recently discovered that rice stir-fried in ketchup seems repulsive to people.  Further, my mother always stir-fried it with spam.  All I can say to that is that you can't knock it until you've tried.  It's the definition of comfort food.  

Mentatsu
688 Baker St #7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
714.979.2755


No comments: