Monday, May 4, 2009

Scallop and Beet/Mango Salad


I felt experimental today and so I did a variation of a Thai mango salad.  Because lately I've been nearly inhaling beets, I thought I'd add them to the mix, which ended up being a really wonderful counterpart to the Thai chilis and curried lime dressing.  I topped the salad with seared jumbo scallops and cilantro.  I have to say, I was really thrilled with this dish.  First off, the colors were gorgeous and pairing scallops with mango worked really well.  
I'm excited to make this for Saeyoung when she's here for the Summer, it's right up her alley.

Ingredients:
4 jumbo scallops
2 beets
1 large unripe mango
1/4 onion, very thinly sliced
2 Thai chilis
cilantro
salt and pepper

1. preheat oven to 400 degrees and roast the beets
2. once the beets are roasted, dice them into sizable cubes
3. peel and slice the mango into long slivers
4. slice the onions very thinly--you don't want the onion to be too overwhelming
5. slice the Thai chilis very thinly--use only one if you're sensitive to spicy food
6. salt and pepper the scallops and sear them in non-stick pan until golden on both ends and opaque in the middle
7. make the dressing (see below) and toss with all the ingredients minus the beets
8.  add the beets last and toss very gently otherwise they will spill their red color over everything
9. top the salad with the scallops and cilantro

Dressing

2 tablespoons fish sauce
3 tablespoons lime
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 tablespoon honey

combine 

1 comment:

Sae said...

I'm drooling... All I've eaten today is 1/2 cup of Pineapples, 1/3 cup of lettuce, some gummy worms, and a 14 oz Dunkin' Donuts Coffee.

Can you please make this for me asap??!! You're getting really creative with the beets.