Thursday, May 21, 2009

La Rana


Ceviche
Torri and Saeyoung
Carne Asada Nachos

Saeyoung's college friend Torri, is visiting all the way from Boston and because she was born and raised beyond the burrito belt in a land called Maine where Mexican food is Taco Bell, we thought it only appropriate to take her out for Mexican food that is somewhat less corrupted. 
  
La Rana is a tiny Mexican restaurant within walking distance of our house and while I can't speak to its authenticity (how does one gauge this?) I can say that I think the food is well priced and pretty great.  Their corn tortillas as especially good, and this is saying a lot because I'm usually all for Team Flour Tortilla.  

We ordered the carne asada nachos because a table near us ordered them and they just looked ridiculous.  And they were ridiculous, in a good way that is.  Pretty much everything you could want on nachos was there, including the pickled carrots that i'm so fond of.  

Saeyoung ordered fish tacos which were good and I appreciated the lack of that disgusting tartar sauce that usually gets slapped on fish tacos.

  I ordered ceviche, which could have used a little more lime juice.  {{ speaking of lime juice, today I saw Nancy and she had burned her lip from eating a lime!  I will never underestimate the power of limes again!  I wanted to call her Little Merced }} It was lacking something.

Torri ordered, and struggled, with the chicken burrito.  I didn't taste it, but it looked pretty good.  I think, maybe, it's hard to mess up a chicken burrito. 

La Rana
27001 Moulton Pkwy #a104
Aliso Viejo, CA 92656
949.643.2899

No comments: