Monday, July 6, 2009

The Street

Jaggery Sugar Stuffed Paranthas
Saag Panner, Dal, and Rice
Reuben
Mediterranean Plate
Korean Rice Salad
Roasted Chilaquiles
I forget


This is a bit belated.  For Father's Day we took Doc to The Street, a relatively new restaurant in Los Angeles.  The concept is global street food, which sounds good except that street food is cheap and The Street is not.  I'm not going to lie.  I was in a foul mood when we were here.  I was having an allergic reaction to a mosquito bite on my eyelid and I'm pretty sure that I looked like a plastic surgery recover patient (you know how the skin looks so stretched and uncreased that it actually looks glossy, like plastic. yeah, that was me, but even worse, it was only half my face).  So maybe The Street doesn't deserve the rant I am about to inflict on it, maybe nothing could have pleased me that day, but in any case, here it goes:

What is comes down to is that everything we ordered we could have gotten a cheaper and better tasting version of at a restaurant that specialized in that particular cuisine.  For example, the saag paneer--easily could have gotten a much more superior version at an Indian restaurant.  And the Korean Rice Salad?  Okay, so basically that was cold bibimbap.  I'm all for re-interpreting traditional fare but it has to be done well.  The Korean Rice Salad just tasted like cold leftovers with a runny egg on top.  The paranthas had a strange aftertaste and the pastry felt brick-like.  Not so appetizing.  Are they supposed to be so candied?
Of the dishes, the roasted chilaquiles were the best, but again, nothing extraordinary.

Also, just generally overpriced.  

I feel like a jerk now. 

I'm sorry.  

The Street
742 N. Highland Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90038

No comments: