Thursday, July 2, 2009

Homemade Kettle Corn With White and Dark Chocolate


drizzled

Much better
Failing ridiculously

The other day someone dropped off a bag of white chocolate covered chex mix/cherrios/pretzels/peanut m&ms.  They were addictive, really terribly, feel-guilty-the-rest-of-the-day addictive.  It got me thinking about salty sweet snacks and how much I love the combination of salty and sweet.  I've been really wanting to make homemade kettle corn and thanks to the addictive white chocolate chex mix things, I had to idea to drizzle my homemade kettle corn with white and dark chocolate.  

You might be wondering what the point of the making homemade kettle corn is.  Well, it really isn't that much harder than making bagged microwave popcorn but tastes 10 times better.  The sugar caramelizes much better.  And with white chocolate and dark chocolate---

Well, I'm lying a little.  It is harder.  I failed my first batch of my kettle corn because I put the heat on too high, but learn from my mistake--keep the heat at medium.  I was impatient and thought it would pop faster at high heat, which is true, it did pop faster, but it also burned.  Also I peeled back my foil to early and the kernels began popping at my face and I felt like I was being attacked.  I was genuinely scared and maybe I was yelping a little.  
But as long as you keep the heat at medium and toss the kernels well, this is a very worth while recipe.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup unpopped, unbuttered popcorn
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons vegetable oil (grapeseed oil, if you have it)
2 teaspoons salt

1. heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat
2. add the popcorn and sugar
3. cover with a tight lid or tin foil
4. when it begins popping, shake the pot vigorously in a tossing motion so that the kernels are moving
5. remove from heat when you don't hear the unpopped kernels rattling in the pot anymore
6. do not remove foil until the kernels have completed popping or you may find yourself under attack by flying kettle corn
7. immediately salt with kosher salt
8. let cool on a baking sheet, spread out evenly 
9. meanwhile in a double broiler, melt the dark and white chocolate separately
10. when melted drizzle the chocolates over the popcorn
11. do not move the popcorn so that the chocolate will harden in drizzle form rather than becoming smeared

No comments: