Thursday, July 30, 2009

Pineapple, Molasses, and Lime Zest

I have a new side job.  My mom and her husband are going to Spain and France in September.  I'm in charge of planning the whole thing, from flights to dinner reservations.  I'm pretty much planning my dream vacation, but for someone else.  (sigh)  I'm totally more excited about this trip than they are.  I've been downloading every itunes show about Spain and France that I can find and predictably I'm tending towards the ones with a foodie bent.  The other night I watched "On the Road Again" with Mario Batali, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Mark Bittman.  It's really mediocre.  Gwyneth Paltrow is pretty obnoxious.  But, they do eat some beautiful food.  In the episode about Barcelona they went to Inopia, a restaurant by one of the Adria brothers (tangent: I tried to make a reservation of El Bulli, the Adria brother's restaurant but they are booked up for the next year!).  For dessert at Inopia they serve fresh pineapple with lime zest and molasses.  Simple, simple, wonderful.  I've never thought about using molasses with fresh fruit.  I like this very much.

No comments: