Monday, July 27, 2009

A Good Gathering

requisite
honey brined chicken
jab chae (glass noodles with vegetables)
bean sprout rice
soups (also requisite)
saeyoung and patricia
marinated tofu


no one ate this but me
i found orange cauliflower at the market and i couldn't resist

butternut squash fries
maple dipping sauce
peanut sauce



my favorite guacamole : thai guac
mango cherry salsa

I love cooking with my mom and sister.  Once in a while we'll have extended family over for large weekend dinners.  We say it will be a simple meal, but it never is.  Simplicity just isn't in our blood.  We meticulously plan. We make several trips to the grocery market (the korean market, the american market, and the last minute trip to Ralph's).  We toil. We barely sit down to eat but somehow manage to gorge until our stomachs are disgustingly rotund.  We then clean for what seems like centuries.  And then we pull out leftovers from the fridge and eat again.  
These make up some of my happiest moments.  We're oddly cheerful when we cook.  We have a sense of collectivity, of doing something together and enjoying what we made together.  Call me sentimental, because there's no denying it, I really am.  

This last Sunday we had one of these large dinners.  I was in charge of appetizers because I believe that's my favorite part of a meal.  I made a Thai guacamole, which is my favorite avocado dish, hands down.  Also, I made a mango cherry salsa, inspired by the fruit we had in the fridge.  Also, butternut squash fries with peanut sauce and a maple dipping sauce.  Saeyoung made a strata, which she will post about very soon (yes, she also blogs here *nudge nudge saeyoung cho).    She also made her famous peach drop cookies, which are always excellent.  Mom, being the faithful Korean that she is made jab chae, spinach soy bean soup, tofu salad and bean sprout rice .  Doc, faithful to his grill, made korean short ribs and a very tender honey brined chicken.  
Very pleasant evening. 

No comments: