Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I Can Save Money! I Can Do It!




It is absolutely true that I spend too much money on food.  I am genuinely trying to correct this problem (I will not last long).  I was looking at my bank statement today and pretty much 95% of my purchases are food related.  I really don't think I buy anything else.  It's food and paying for gas.  That's my life.  

Today I made a little snack using all leftovers. It's a good feeling when you simultaneously save money and clean out your fridge.  


Runny Egg Tomato Basil Toast with Balsamic Glazed Red Onions

1 slice of good bread, toasted (we luckily had some rosemary olive oil bread.  quite nice)
1 thick slice of tomato
1 basil leaf, chopped
1 slice of cheese (I used cheddar but I'd imagine fresh mozzarella or a creamy brie or any cheese would be excellent)
1 heaping teaspoon of balsamic glazed red onions (leftover from our barbecue)
1 sunny side up egg
salt and pepper to taste

1. toast the bread on one side very lightly
2. turn the bread around and toast again with a slice of cheese until the cheese just begins to melt
3. top with balsamic glazed onions, tomato slice, basil, and sunny side up egg--in that order
4. salt and pepper

Fig, Banana, Honey, and Peanut Butter Toast

directions: self explanatory

One of my favorite breakfasts is a piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter, honey, and banana slices.  Add figs, even better.  I don't know why I've never thought of using figs and bananas.  After I tasted it, it struck me as a combination that was enormously logical.  And yes, that is a halved whole wheat hamburger bun that I used for toast.  They were leftovers from that barbecue.  I'm trying to be economical.


2 comments:

Gil Gentile said...

i want this

saehee said...

you would eat anything with a runny sunny side up egg. it's your kryptonite