Monday, July 6, 2009

Purple Long Beans



When I see produce that I've never encountered before, I can't help myself.  At the Silverlake Farmers Market I found purple long beans and they seemed fairly exciting.  They are a little frighteningly long and they look like some sort of water snake (does this exist?).  I suppose I could have chopped them into smaller bits but they were sort of fun to keep long.  My mom was thoroughly afraid of them.  She said they gave her the goosebumps and that they looked liked worms.  She actually shuddered.  Okay, the appearance is a bit alarming but they taste quite good--a bit sweeter than a green bean.  

Ingredients:
One bunch purple long beans (15 long beans)
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds

1. boil the long beans in salted water for about 2 minutes
2. drain and immediately shock in a cold water bath
3. in a non-stick pan, saute the garlic in sesame oil
4. add the long beans and oyster sauce
5. toss with sesame seeds

*for a vegetarian version, just replace oyster sauce for black bean sauce, or I'd imagine Trader Joe's Soyaki would be good here too

No comments: