Monday, July 6, 2009

Gaviota Strawberry Grand Marnier Preserves




grand marnier
I almost felt maternal about these strawberries

On Sunday I went to the Hollywood Farmers Market with Lan and Nancy.  Possibly the most exciting buy was Gaviota strawberries.  Gaviota strawberries are smaller, juicier, and sweeter than most other strawberries.  Their small size makes them perfect for making whole fruit preserves.
Usually I like to combine different fruits in my preserves but these were so wonderful that I felt they should be on their own, with the addition of grand marnier.  I really love the combination of alcohol and fruit, it just makes a lot of sense.  I think the first jam I ever made was strawberry and pomegranate wine.   
This preserve takes almost two days to make because to preserve the fruit without breaking it or losing the shape of the berry there's a lot of slow maceration and multiple slow boils that have to be done.  But it's actually not a great deal of work, just a lot of waiting.  
I think this may be my favorite preserve to date.  I'm pretty thrilled about it actually.  Just the raw strawberries (pre-maceration) in grand marnier was barely resistible ( i may have eaten a few). 
After canning the preserves there's usually some fruit syrup leftover and I usually just discard it but this particular syrup so excellent, I canned it as well.  Maybe I can use it for ice cream?  

Strawberries are a very cute fruit.


No comments: