Sunday, July 19, 2009

Pepin


vegetarian paella
paella valenciana
cured salmon with capers
eggplant, goat cheese salad
beef and tomato empanadas
crab and arroz negro croquetas
mushrooms with escargot
sherry mushrooms
sangria

On our last night in Scottsdale we went to Pepin Spanish restaurant for some tapas and paella.  
The restaurant was a bit on the campy side with a flamenco dancer but otherwise the food was quite good.  I was especially impressed by their vegetarian paella, which I'm not sure that I've ever encountered before.  Meat and/or seafood always seem to pretty integral to paella.  The paella was a bit buttery for my taste.  It was sort of swimming in broth which gave it an almost stew-like quality.  I like mine a little crisped at the edges and I like to taste more saffron than butter. 
Not pictured but also delicious were the sweetbreads in a wine sauce.  On the sweet side but the sweetbreads were very tender.  

Pepin
7363 E Scottsdale Mall
Scottsdale, AZ 85251-4414
480.990.9026

No comments: