Monday, July 6, 2009

Eggplant, Lentil, Barley Salad


When I think of eggplant, I think of Archie Comics.  It's a long story.  
Today at work I became obsessed with the idea of making an eggplant salad with lentils.  As the day went on, I kept adding more and more to the salad in my head and I kept writing additions and revisions in my notebook.  
It was the most exciting part of my day.  

I think Saeyoung would like this very much.  I would say that I will make it for her when she comes home on Thursday but this took like two hours, so I don't know.  Actually, I probably will make it for her.  I've got nothing better to do.  Sigh.

Ingredients

1 eggplant
1 zucchini
1/2 cup dried lentils
1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
1/2 cup tomatoes (cherry or grape tomatoes would be better but I used sliced beefsteak because that is what I had)
1 cup cubed cucumbers (haha...cu..cu..cu)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 finely minced jalapeno
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
3 crushed garlic cloves
sesame seeds for sprinkling


dressing:

1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 cup fish sauce
juice of 4 limes
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 1/3 teaspoons brown sugar

1. preheat oven to 475
2. roast eggplant for about 15 minutes or until the skin is crispy and separates from the flesh and is easily peelable
3. peel the eggplant and chop into large cubes, and set aside
4. cover the lentils with water until the water is about 2 inches above the lentil and boil the for about 15-20 minutes or until tender, set aside 
5. boil the pearl barley in salted water for about 5 minutes and then cover and let sit for about 1 hour
6. in a non-stick pan, saute the garlic, chopped mushrooms, and zucchini slices until the zucchini is just tender
7. add the eggplant and minced jalapeno to the pan with the curry, coriander, and cumin.  salt and pepper to taste
8. after the vegetables are cooked through (make sure that the eggplant is not overcooked or it will turn to mush.  the vegetables should still have a bite) set aside and let cook
9. in a large mixing bowl, toss the drained lentils, drained barley, eggplant/zucchini/mushroom mixture, cilantro, tomatoes, red onions, cucumbers, and dressing
10. plate and top with sesame seeds

No comments: