Thursday, September 10, 2009

Vegan Crumb Cupcakes





Here is a second vegan option for the Les Figues auction.
My friend Jared assumed the role of my vegan dessert taste tester and helped me decide on this crumb cake for the auction. This decision was made mostly because these cupcakes are almost ridiculously easy to make and really I don't think that it being vegan meant that taste had to be sacrificed. I've done a fair amount of research on vegan desserts and a few years back I was making a lot of vegan desserts with Ener-G Egg Replacers and fancy dairy substitutes but in the end I decided that these ingredients led to inconsistent results. These ingredients were expensive and for the most part I've had the best results with simple, practical replacements like soy milk and Earth Balance. Canola oil is pretty key in vegan desserts, I've realized.
I think I will add either hazelnuts or walnuts to this recipe for the auction.

Please come to the Les Figues auction for these cupcakes plus here are the other things I am making for the event:

1. lemon cupcakes with chamomile honey icing
2. chocolate and matcha cupcakes with bittersweet chocolate ganache
3. vegan crumb cake
4. fig and pear mini galettes
5. lavender chocolate sable cookies with cream cheese filling
6. vanilla sables with sour cherry filling
7. chocolate sables with honey peanut butter filling

I will also be auctioning two items at the event:

1. a basket of 7 homemade farmers market preserves

2. an alchemical baking commission: you dream up any dessert your creativity can conjure and I will design a recipe according you specifications, bake the item for you, and give you a copy of the recipe. The wilder the commission the better. Here are some starter suggestions : lychee cheesecake, strawberry and azuki bean cupcakes, tamarind cheesecake, olive oil raisin pound cake, root beer cake, mochi blondie bars, black sesame brownies, blueberry goat cheese tarts, ginger and strawberry cake, and avocado cake

Les Figues Auction:
September 12th, Saturday
Los Angeles Contemporary Exhibitions
6522 Hollywood Blvd
Los Angeles, Ca

Buy your tickets and find more info here:


2 comments:

Sae said...

I think I would love these. Even if they are vegan. I'm deliriously tired right now.

saehee said...

ohmigod i am too. we need a break. we've only just started and we already need a break...