Thursday, September 3, 2009

Amelia's Trattoria : chos eat Boston part 2

goat cheese and beet ravioli
homemade spaghetti with plum tomato ragu
goat cheese salad
calamari with preserved lemon risotto
polenta with wild braised mushrooms and crispy sage

Family friends, the Rolniks took Saeyoung and I out for an amazing dinner at Amelia's Trattoria. It was so nice seeing them again. They are incredible foodies and I've pretty much never not enjoyed dining with them. I have fond memories of Zac making us a simple appetizer of crusty french bread with grilled porcini mushrooms and garlic chips.

Amelia's Trattoria was a very small intimate restaurant right next to MIT. There was only server and service was understandable and forgivably slow. They had an open window into the kitchen where we could see the food being prepared, which was nice. This was definitely meatless. Regardless the sauce was very refreshing, pretty classic basil and tomato--you can't really go wrong there.

I think more than the entrees, we were impressed with the appetizers. Saeyoung doesn't really like earthy tasting mushrooms but even she liked the polenta with braised mushrooms. Zac, who does not like sage, even liked the crispy sage, because let's be honest, anything fried in butter can't help but be good. The calamari was my favorite. Though I love balsamic vinegar I was a little weary of the balsamic reduction liberally drizzled on the plate because it seemed like such a strong flavor to go with preserved lemon, but oddly it all worked out. Ohmigod, I love risotto. I've never had a citrus based risotto and am eager to try it.

Zac ordered the chicken milanese, Diana ordered a goat cheese salad, and Olivia ordered the spaghetti carbonara (though she switched to the chicken milanese half way through).

I'd imagine this would be a nice date spot, but a special date, like an anniversary date or something celebratory like that.

111 Harvard St,
Cambridge, MA
617.868.7600

No comments: