Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Hungry Mother : chos eat boston part 4


roasted chicken with grits
grilled blue fish with tomato jam
squid with hominy

fried green tomatoes with arugula, red remoulade, and bacon
ciabatta with olive tapenade and green tomato preserves

The more I recall this meal, the more fondly I'm feeling about it. My experience with southern foods is pretty limited and I suppose there something strange about having the best southern meal I've ever had in Boston.

Now that the initial laudatory comment is over with, I have to say that Saeyoung and I were basically scolded for being 20 minutes late. I promise we were there on time! Believe me, I understand the value of timeliness. We just had a hell of a time trying to find parking. Upon arrival, a very sour man told us that he was expecting us at 7 and that they had another party of two coming in at 9, "but they'd try to move a few things around." I definitely got the sense that he was trying to make us feel guilty. The whole thing left a very bad taste in my mouth. But, to be fair, The Hungry Mother was very busy, fully packed on a Tuesday night, which I suppose says a lot about the popularity of this restaurant. Later I think the same sour man felt bad and made several stops to see how our meal was going. But I'm not one to get upset about quality of service. Whatever, as long as my food is good, much is permissible. And also, our server was very nice.

We started off the meal with a starter of 3-olive tapenade and green tomato preserve on grilled ciabatta. I lurve olive tapenade. The tomato preserve was very sweet and was pretty fantastic with the saltiness of the tapenade. I have a thing for the combination of salty and sweet.

For our starters Saeyoung and I shared a grilled squid dish and fried green tomatoes. I think my favorite was the grilled squid and Saeyoung's favorite was the green tomatoes. The fried green tomatoes were alarmingly ungreasy and they smelled amazing. I was almost happy to just smell the dish.

I've never had bluefish. It was very mild and they grilled it so that it was almost blackened on one side and really melty in the center. Very delicious. Nice and clean.

Saeyoung ordered the roasted chicken, which was similarly nice and clean.

It was nice to have clean flavors since the appetizers had so much kick.

Also, pretty much everything came with bacon. Really delicious thick cut bacon. Is this typical in Southern food?

The Hungry Mother
233 Cardinal Medeiros Ave
Cambridge, MA 02141
617.499.0090

No comments: