Thursday, September 3, 2009

Christina's Ice Cream and Toascanini's: chos eat boston part 3






I love love Scoops in Los Angeles, but I have to admit, Cambridge might be a better ice cream city. Why? Because there are two amazing ice cream shops within walking distance from each other with equally exciting flavors.

Toscanini's is a bit hipster-y, filled to the brim with 20-somethings on their macs and lots of skinny jeand. At Christina's, I get the sense that it is a family-run business. Both have their merits. When compared, Saeyoung and I decided that we liked the texture of Toscanini's ice cream better but the flavors of Christina's ice cream better.

At Christina's I had the carrot cake ice cream--amazing! Scoops should make a version of this. Saeyoung had the burnt sugar ice cream that tasted exactly like Bbop gi--a Korean candy that vendors make on the street. They melt sugar with baking soda in a metal ladle until it is browned and then pour it onto a flat surface and use a cookie cutter to partially perforate a shape (usually a star). If you can manage to eat the candy in such a way that you preserve the shape of the star the street vendor gives you another for free.

That was a tangent, but my point is that the burnt sugar ice cream was really exciting for us and we wished so much that we could bring our mom some because she has such vivid memories of eating bbop gi in Korea when she was a kid.

At Toscanini's we were able to get two flavors in one scoop. I had chocolate spanish chiles and lemon meringue. Saeyoung had strawberry cream cheese and hazelnut. The flavors I chose were really strong and you probably couldn't eat a whole bowl of them but they were really exciting for the first few bites.

Now I have my Scoops and Saeyoung has her Boston equivalents.

Toscanini's
899 Main st
Cambridge, MA 02139-3512
617.491.5877

Christina's Ice Cream
1255 Cambridge St
Cambridge, MA 02139-1338
617.492.1338

No comments: