Saturday, September 20, 2008

Ronin Izakaya









One of my first meals since moving to Los Angeles, my family and I went to Ronin upon reading a review-though I can't remember from where.  The idea was upscale izakaya, kind of Euro-Japanese.  The restaurant was small, sterile-in that black pebble, minimalist way.  We ordered the New York steak skewers with blue cheese, somen checca, ginger shoyu salmon, taco shimi, crispy chicken and jumbo scallops.  The crispy chicken was somewhat forgettable, though it came highly recommended.  My parents liked the somen checca, though that seemed too much like something anyone could replicate at home for me to rave about-though it was quite good.  The taco shimi was interesting and probably my favorite, but certainly not for those who are opposed to fusion-y inclined foods.  I liked it though, so there.  The corn salsa on the scallops was especially excellent.  

On the atmosphere side of things, Ronin projects Japanese movies on their wall.  My family felt divided about this.  While it is an excellent distraction, the film they were showing that night was a little violent/bloody for my appetite.  

I wouldn't go here for a casual weekday dinner, it's a bit pricey for that but still surprisingly reasonable.  Our party of three ate to satisfaction for under $80.

Also, it is worth mentioning that they generously gave us a free dessert for being first time customers.  We ordered the flan with the yuzu granita and then they brought us the chocolate bar with the mint milkshake.  

359 N. La Cienega Blvd
West Hollywood, Ca 90048

No comments: