Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Red Wine Pasta & Heirloom Tomato Caprese



I've committed myself to cooking more often in order to save money.  I've made this red wine pasta a few times before and the results have always been pretty good.  I used good old $1.99 Charles Shaw and all the leftover vegetables in my refrigerator for what turned out to be a pretty hearty meal.  We also made a caprese salad with basil from my new basil plant and some heirloom tomatoes from Trader Joe's ($3.29 for a small box!).

Here's the recipe for the pasta is you are interested.  Sorry about the measurements, I generally eyeball everything:

two handfuls of mushrooms
4 garlic cloves
handful of parsley
6-7 leaves of basil
olive oil
a pad of butter
romano cheese
parmesan cheese
salt and pepper, to taste

1. cook the pasta halfway in salted water
2. drain and boil the pasta until al dente in wine. pasta should turn dark red. drain and put aside
3. roast garlic
4. sautee mushrooms and roasted garlic in a large pan with olive oil
5. add butter and pasta
6. add parsley, basil, and cheese.  mix everything together
7. salt and pepper to taste

No comments: