Saturday, September 20, 2008

India Samraat
















I had my first Indian cuisine adventure in Boston tonight with my friend Kaity. We followed the recommendation of Boston magazine, as India Samraat was voted a "Best of Boston 2007." A year later, the food is still proving to be authentic and delicious. 

I ordered Chicken Tandoori, because my regular order of Chana Masala was surprisingly not on the menu. The portions were perfect and the chicken was served on a bed of grilled bell peppers and onions. I also got an order of Nan which was not as "doughy" as I typically prefer my nan to be. Not to mention, the two pieces of nan was slathered in some kind of oil or butter. This was a case of bad portions! When I order Nan, I am expecting a heaping basket. okay? 

I also got my side dish staple of Raita, a mixture of yogurt, cucumbers, and mint. 

The basmati rice had a stick of cinnamon stuck right into it which added an interesting flavor. Unfortunately, I don't enjoy the taste of cinnamon.  It was subtle enough that I was able to slather the rice in Raiti and mask the hint of cinnamon. 

Kaity ordered a lamb dish and an indian salad that opened up her sinuses. It was a pile of red onions with hot peppers and no dressing. It's no surprise the poor girl's mouth was on fire. 

Lastly, India Samraat was promoting a special deal and we received two free Mango Lassies. This was my first time trying it and I loved it! It pretty much tasted like a room temperature Mango smoothie. Jamba Juice better watch out! 

All in all, I've tasted better Indian food but, this sure satisfied the craving. Not to mention, there was a cupcake speciality shop right next door called SWEET. I was very disappointed to see they had run out of cupcakes, but there is always tomorrow! 

- The Cow (I saw that Ruminating Bob)

51(A) Massachusetts Ave. 
Boston, MA 02215



No comments: