Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Butternut Squash Ravioli

Portuguese Sardines With Baguette

Lobster Ravioli with Butternut Squash Sauce

I have re-committed myself to cooking more and eating out less.  This means a $90 grocery bill at Trader Joe's.  The more I think about it, it's actually more affordable for me to eat out than for me to cook full meals for just one person.  And also, going through all the effort of cooking for just myself felt pretty lame.  It was even more lame that I ate my meal on the floor in front of the television playing Jon & Kate Plus Eight with a glass of truly terrible leftover white wine that I should have thrown out weeks ago.  But hey, the food wasn't half bad.  It would've have been better if the butternut squash sauce didn't look like horse poop.  

Recipe for Butternut Squash Sauce (used with Trader Joe's lobster ravioli pictured above)

1 Tbsp toasted pine nute
2 roasted garlic cloves
1 can butternut squash puree
1 tsp cinnamon
fresh sage (as little or as much as you prefer)
parmesan reggiano
chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste

1. toast the pine nuts in a pan and set aside
2. roast the garlic cloves in the oven in aluminum foil with some olive oil until tender
3. in a blender mix the garlic, butternut squash puree, and chicken stock until sauce reached desired consistency ( I made mine pretty thick so I put very little chicken stock but I think it works better it you put about 1/4 cup chicken stock)
4. heat the mixture in a pan and add torn sage
5. salt and pepper to taste
6. add pine nuts and cheese

No comments: