Saturday, October 4, 2008

Wien Bakery


filled with  chestnuts, red bean, and other beans of a sweet variety
some sort of melted sugar, honey, pull-apart loaf (this was my favorite)
I have fond memories of visiting Seoul in the Summer and going to Wien Bakery with my aunt and eating one of their coffee flavored ice cream bars.  I've recently discovered that there is a Wien in Koreatown, and the space is actually very nice with an outdoor patio and garden party decor.  Thomas and I sat outside and had our morning coffee, sampling our various purchases.  There were several small birds around and the ground was still wet from the rain.  The whole thing was actually very sweet.  

They have a lot of Asian-European breads and pastries, decent coffee, and some sandwiches (usually slathered in mayo-think tuna salad, egg salad).  What I find interesting about Korean bakeries is their use of rice flour, usually in conjunction with red bean.  Very good.  Is it even a pastry anymore if you're substituting the flour for rice?  In any case, the results are a mochi-like chewiness, but heartier.  I think I'm going to make a habit of going there every Friday on the way to my internship.  

3035 W Olympic Blvd
Los Angeles, 90026

No comments: