Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The North End's pride and joy: Mike's Pastry




Mike's Pastry located on the small, winding Hanover street in the heart of Boston's North End can always be identified by the swarming people. 

This Italian pastry shop is a stop for tourists and locals alike. But make no mistake, Mike's is not for the weak. Only serious sweet tooth patrons can handle the oversized desserts. 

Pictures is a whip cream puff, Boston Cream Pie, 
hot cocoa, and the classic yellow cream canoli (which is unappetizingly phallic). 

My favorite dessert by far was the Boston Cream Pie! I've never been crazy about cream or this particular dish, but you better believe, I ate that entire slice. The chocolate was a fantastic fudgey texture. The cake was incredible soft like a sponge cake. The cream wasn't that sweet, which balanced the chocolate perfectly. 

Mike's is known for it's cannoli's but, my family is not a big fan of the dessert. I just can't eat cylinder shaped desserts that have yellow cream oozing from one end. I have to draw the line somewhere. 

The hot cocoa is also the perfect way to end a cold fall night in Boston. 

No comments: