Thursday, March 5, 2009

Squid Ink Pasta and Balsamic Glazed Cipolline Onions



The first time I had squid ink pasta was in Seoul about four years ago and ever since then I haven't found another squid ink pasta that has matched it.  I think in Seoul they even put squid ink in the sauce.  I found a dried squid ink pasta at the Silverlake Cheese Store the other day ($11.99--a little pricey).  A little fresh parsley, parmesan reggiano, red pepper, thyme, and olive oil was all it really needed. The squid ink wasn't as pronounced in the taste as I would have liked, maybe its the brand.  More than the pasta, I think I was enamored with the balsamic glazed onions with thyme.

Simple Squid Ink Pasta:
squid ink pasta
a handful of fresh chopped parsley
dried red pepper flakes
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 sprigs of thyme
1 tablespoon minced garlic
handful of parmesan reggiano cheese
salt and pepper to taste

1. cook the pasta in heavily salted water, al dente
2. drain the pasta 
3. add garlic and olive oil into a large fry pan
4. add thyme 
5. add pasta and red pepper flakes
6.  salt and pepper to taste
7. plate and add parsley and cheese

No comments: