Monday, December 1, 2008

ronin, revisited

local wild mushrooms with gnocchi with plum wine sauce
seafood trio carpaccio-scallop, ahi, tuna
shoyu ginger salmon
blue crab cake
chicken lemongrass dumplings
spicy agedashi tofu
ahi tuna shimi

I've been meaning to take Saeyoung to this restaurant since I went with my parents when I first moved to Los Angeles.  And as I am living off of student loans, I've been doing some babysitting and saving all the money  for Saeyoung's Thanksgiving visit.  The money was well spent.  on food.  It might be of some interest to note that the other parties of two surrounding Saeyoung and me ordered three dishes-we ordered 9.  In general, everything was excellent.  The seafood carpaccio was served chilled, which felt really great after eating the saltier dishes, good palate cleanser.  I wouldn't recommend the chicken dumplings-they were more or less just dumplings.  I also wouldn't recommend the blue crab cake because it was on the salty side.  I think the winner of the night may have been the spicy agedashi tofu.  They make the tofu in-house and the broth was flavored with jalapenos.  We were craving rice to mix in the leftover broth.  I also recommend the gnocchi.  I was a little skeptical about Japanese style gnocchi, especially with the plum wine sauce but I really wanted the wild mushrooms.  It was pretty delicious though.  The gnocchi were thumb sized and a little denser than their Italian counterparts.  I was sad that this was our last dish and was too full to eat all of it.    

Ronin Izakaya
359 N. La Cienega blvd
West Hollywood, 90048

No comments: